Alexios Mar Thevodhosios Metropolitan was born on August 28, 1888 as M. M. Alexander alias Chandy, in a traditionally priestly family at Niranam.. Mathai and Kunjadamma of Mattackal are the name of his parents.He had his school education at M G M High School, Thiruvalla and M D High School, Kottayam and College education (1912-15) in C.M.S College Kottayam. Alexander was called to the Ministry of God at the age 0f nineteen in 1907, and received ordination as Sub-deacon. Dn.Alexander, following college education, joined Barisol Divinity College in East Bengal 1915 and later in 1918 Serampore college for theological studies. He received his deaconship from Pulikkottil Joseph Mar Dionysios. In that year Dn. Alexander was ordained as a priest by Yuyakim Mar Ivanios at Parumala Seminary and called as Fr. Alexios.
While studying at Serampore college, Fr.
Alexios came in to contact with Fr. P. T. Geevarghese Panicker Both of
them made plan and they together established an Ashram or monastry on
the side of Mundamala in Perinad near Ranni in 1918 . The land was
donated by E.J.John Elanjikal, niranam and some others . This monastery
was named as Bethany. Later Fr.Geevarghese Panickar joined Catholic
church Fr.Alexios along with other devout orthodox monks worked
patiently , and restlessly to form the present Bethany Ashram Today
Bethany has a landed property of more than 250 Acres ,and complex of
institutions as monasteries, convents, schools and hospital. at various
parts of kerala .
Mar Theodosios also had taken keen
interest in representing the Malankara Church in International
Inter-Church forums and projecting its image to western Churches. Till
1953 he was a member of Central Committee of WCC
Mar Theodosios had taken keen interest in
representing the Malankara Church in International Inter-Church forums
and projecting its image to western Churches. He was a member of Central
Committee of WCC, till 1953
Very Rev. Abo Alexios O.I.C. went to
Malaya In 1928 . There were a good number of Orthodox Syrian Christians
in the towns of Kuala Lumpur,Penang, Johore Bahru and Singapore. Abo
Alexios’s stayed there for 18 months, During this period he visited
Syrian Christians who lived in Java , Indonesia.
The history of U.K. parishes begins in
1930s. Abo Alexios of the Bethany Ashram (later H. G. Mar Theodosius)
was the first Indian orthodox priest ever to visit UK This visit was
arranged or made possible by the efforts of Prof. Varkey .A M , Alwaye.
He was a member of “ the mission of fellowship to England and Ireland “
through the sponsorship of the National Christian Council of India. With
the assistance of people like Dr.William Paton, Cannon John Douglas and
others. Pof. Varkey formed an association called “ The Friends of the
Syrian Church “ to help his ancient church in Kerala, in theological
training , of a higher level. The first candidate chosen was Abo
Alexios,and he participated in the Jubilee celebrations of the Community
of Resurrection, Mirfield .Abo made connections with several religious
communities in UK, during this period..
Metropolitan Alexios Mar Theodosius of
Kollam and the " Diocese outside Kerala"visited Delhi to explore the
feasibility of building an Orthodox Church in the National capital. in
1944. During the second visit of Mar Theodosius, in 1952 the
congregation decided to take steps to construct a church of their own
and the Delhi parish is formally launched. Fr. K.C Thomas (Late
Metropolitan Dr.Thomas Mar Makarios) was appointed as the first resident
Vicar of the parish in Delhi.
Liturgical worship continued regularly. Also in 1944 Metropolitan Thomas Mar Dynasius stayed in Delhi on his way back to kerala, from the Eastern war front . H.G.celebrated the Holy Qurbana at the Redemption Church , Delhi. After the service, His Grace gave an eloquent speech and vividly pictured his experience with the troops on the frontline. He also told about the keen interest taken by Lord Irwin ,former British Viceroy , in bringing up peace between the Orthodox Church of India and the Patriarch of Antioch and also about the viceroy attending the Holy Qurbana In St George's Orthodox Church , Thiruvananthapuram on his visit to kerala.
The Diocesan Metropolitan Alexios Mar Theodosios revisited Delhi in 1952,celebrated the Holy Qurbana in the Chapel attached to the Lady Hardinge Hospital and baptized two infants. A group met with His Grace at the residence of Mr M.M. Thomas (later, advisor to the Union Public Service Commission) and discussed the support needed for a priest in Delhi. This meeting was a turning point in that it decided to go ahead and take steps to construct a Church in the capital.
This important resolve was prompted by several influences. A visit by the missionary Bishop, Pathros Mar Osthathios had prepared the mind of the congregation on the basic need of a Church of their own in Delhi. The 19th centenary of the arrival of St Thomas in India provided the inspiration to formally launch the parish in Delhi in 1952 with that help of Fr T. G Koshy from Bombay. Indeed, this rare celebration, jointly organized by all the Christians, was enriched by the participation of the President of India, Dr Rajendra Prasad, as well as the Prime Minister, Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru, both of whom spoke warmly to the St Thomas tradition as a national legacy. In the words of the President, at the St Thomas Day celebration on 18th December 1952: "Those Indians who trace their Christianity to St Thomas have a longer history and a higher ancestry than that of Christians of the European countries. And it is really a matter of pride to us that it so happened'. The spiritual and political encouragement was reinforced by the offer by Mr. C. P Matthen, Member of Parliament, to meet any deficit in the funds required for constructing the Church.
The next step was to choose a priest who
would be satisfied with a modest living allowance. The Diocesan
metropolitan Mar Theodosios selected Father K. C. Thomas (at present
metropolitan Thomas Mar Makarios of the Diocese of America). Fr Thomas
lived at the YMCA, sharing a room and cheerfully putting up with
considerable inconvenience. He served the Parish for about 11 years.
In 1957 Mar Alexios formed the Indian Orthodox Mission at Madras.
Outside Kerala Diocese owes a great debt
to the late, lamented Alexios Mar
The movement was started in 1907 by a group of Students and Senior leaders in Madras under the name 'Syrian Student Conference' and its first Annual meeting was held at Thiruvalla on January 1, 1908.The "Syrian Student Conference" assumed its present name "MGOCSM" with the moto "worship, Study, Service"in the year 1960. MGOCSM is the oldest Christian Organisation in India H G was the president of student movement after H G Puthencavu Geevarghese Mar Philexinos, Participated in the WCC meetings in Edinburgh in 1937 and in Amsterdam in 1948.